Are you Driven, or are you the Driver?

It’s an important distinction, in my mind.

A person who is driven has pre-set motivators to get a job done.  For example, someone at a workplace that is driven has the goal set for them; a paycheck, a promotion, etc…  Nothing that they’ve created for themselves.

The Driver, however, has the goal in mind, that they’ve set.  The path is their choosing, how to get there, what tools they use, orthodox or not.

In most workplaces, being the driver is difficult.  Keeping in line with the “industry standards” is part of the IT ideal, and is halting creativity in many organizations, trading the new and inventive for “stable and boxed” systems.  Holding off the pitchforks of the nay-sayers, the Driver has to produce quickly and efficiently.

Want a real world example?  Here’s one from my experience:

I’m setting up the deployment for Windows 7.  Unfortunately, the “industry standard” is to use SCCM and Sysprep.  However, there are some issues with deploying SCCM to our live environment that I can’t get into right now.  Sysprep has issues with what I’m telling it to do, to I’m ignoring it right now.

I know my goal: Deploy Windows 7 in as small an image as possible, without using Sysprep and SCCM (or ImageX, but that’s another matter entirely).

How am I doing it?  AutoIt scripting.  98% of the “sysprep” that I’m doing makes up for the lack of Microsoft Sysprep and SCCM/ImageX.  The other 2% is using Ghost Solution Suite for image deployment.

I can image a workstation in 8.5 minutes.  It’s roughly 5gb.  It’s not kosher in the setup, but the end result meets, if not exceeds the goal, and complies with the “industry standard” on the other side.

I am a Driver.  Are you?

Site Redesign 2010

As the year draws on, it’s time for another facelift of my site.  This time, I’ve gone with the popular WordPress CMS.  Since most of what I do with my site is yammer at anyone who even dare looks at it, I think it might be the better choice for the moment.

As with the SilverStripe site, the main links at the very top will concern this site specifically, and how I’m trying to put my services out there.  The good thing is, I actually have something for my Web Portfolio!  The bad news?  I have to actually document what I’ve done in the last few years.

I’ll eventually have my shoddy art up as it’s own portfolio, but that will come in time.

Anyway, for those of you just now joining us, welcome!  There will be more of my incomprehensible, strange, twisted, odd, and uncouth rantings, on top of the actual techno-nerd blatherings.